Child Support
Elizabeth P. Kunkel, Esq. LLC                                                                         

Initial Determination, Modifications, and Enforcement

Are you not receiving court-ordered child support? Do you need to change the amount of support because of a change in personal circumstances? Elizabeth P. Kunkel, Attorney at Law, provides experienced representation in all legal matters pertaining to child support.

Contact our Elizabeth office for a free initial consultation. We represent mothers or fathers in throughout Union County, Hudson County, Essex County, Passaic County and surrounding counties of New Jersey.

Initial Determination of Child Support

  • The amount the non-primary parent will pay is based on New Jersey child support guidelines. Judges have limited leeway to vary from these guidelines. However, the court needs accurate information about income to apply the child support calculator. Elizabeth P. Kunkel has practiced family law and has extensive prior professional accounting experience, and uses subpoenas of financial records or forensic accountants as necessary, particularly if one parent is self-employed and their reported income is not reliable.

Child Support Modification

  • Either parent can petition the court to modify the level of support upward or downward. The court requires a "substantial change in circumstances," such as a layoff or unemployment, a raise or new job, or changing needs of the child. New Jersey law also compels the parties to pay towards college expenses for the minor child(ren) and the child support may be decreased depending on the facts of the case. A party may request to emancipate a child if the child does not pursue a higher education, attends the military or other factors.

Enforcement Actions

  • If you are not receiving child support, Elizabeth P. Kunkel, Attorney at Law, can step in to request the non-primary parent lives up to his or her obligations. A family law judge can jail the parent for contempt of court, and your lawyer can advise on other legal avenues, such as wage garnishment and bank account liens.


For a full discussion of your rights in child support and other family law issues, contact Elizabeth P. Kunkel today at (908)400-7182    or by e-mail at